I rarely get political. I got into sports for a reason. I will break down X’s and O’s all day long and I will discuss big picture items when it comes to what actually happens on the field, court, ice or whatever for any sport. However, about once a year, I’ll say my peace when it comes to the political landscape. You can read it, or don’t. You can like it, or not. I don’t really care, but here it is anyway…
Media these days is driving me insane. I know I work in media, but there is a reason I am in sports media. If you follow me on Twitter, you’ve probably seen my detest for the news media every time a major “political” topic comes up. I try to just make smart-ass comments and be funny about certain things to help cheer the world up, but sometimes it’s hard to do even that without having people come at me because they are offended by whatever I said. That’s the biggest problem in this world is that everyone gets so damn offended at everything, on both sides.
Part of why I have such a negative view of the media is because I live in a part of the country where there is only one way to look at things, and if you don’t view things the same way then you’re wrong. Recently, I’ve had to live in a crazy state of media surrounding the one sport I love and have supported and will continue to support in football. The president came to Huntsville Friday and laid down his thoughts on the whole kneeling during the national anthem issue, and it sent all of the media not only in the state, but the nation, into a frenzy.
I’m not dealing with that.
I watched the NFL Sunday. I watched the NFL Monday. Not because I care about the protests, but because I love football. I’m not letting anyone tell me what to do when it comes to watching the one sport I love. I’m not letting anyone tell me what to do or what to think in any regard. I suggest people try it sometime.
I’m extremely fortunate to have a platform every night to make my voice heard on any subject I want to discuss. That subject is sports 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time, I’m usually talking about movies or TV shows. I try so hard to avoid politics. Yet I found myself taking call after call on Monday night where people just had to bring it up. I left multiple people on the line when the show ended because they only wanted to talk about the NFL protests.
The problem isn’t the protests. The problem is the media coverage of the protests.
It doesn’t matter which side you’re on, right or left, no one seems to actually be talking anymore about the subject matter of why anyone was ever kneeling in the first place. The right side of the aisle only wants to agree with the president, who called anyone who kneels during the anthem a “son of a bitch” who should be fired. The left side only wants to be angry at the president for calling the NFL players such a derogatory term. Hardly anyone actually discusses what the anthem protests are even about anymore. Also, hardly anyone seems to care that the player’s employer, the NFL, is clearly fine with the protests, yet plenty of people still want them fired. If I have the legal right to do something, that doesn’t mean my boss has to let me do it. But if he does, then why should I be fired for that?
All media is these days is finding someone you agree with, and taking everything they say as gospel because it makes you feel better about who you are. It takes you to your own personal safe space. Safe spaces exist for everyone, don’t pretend like they don’t. I see it every day.
But I can’t read, listen or watch any of it anymore. So I sure as hell am not about to turn my radio show into political nonsense. If you want to talk politics, then go listen to our sister station Talk 99.5 or some other station that will help satisfy your political beliefs, whatever they may be.
I’m here to talk sports. I’m here to talk about the Jaguars beating the Ravens 44-7 in England, not that the Jags knelt before the national anthem with their owner. I’m here to talk about the Titans beating the Seahawks, not that neither team came out for the national anthem. I’m here to talk about the Steelers losing to the Bears for crying out loud, not that one Steelers player came out for the anthem and the rest stayed inside.
If I actually talked about politics and said what I truly believed, I’d probably get fired. I’d have people on the left, right, up and down wanting to put me through counseling. I made my opinion known once before at a previous job and it made me a pariah, so I’m not about to have it happen again. I don’t care which side you lean on, I try to only lean on the side of truth.
The news has been ruined, but the ones proclaiming fake news at every turn are as much a part of the problem as anyone. Living in the south, there are an infinite number of conservative talking heads at every turn on TV, radio and online. That’s fine if that’s your thing.
It’s not mine. Mine is sports.
So I look forward to talking some football with you.